Saturday, July 23, 2011

Do you know what you are bringing in to your home?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what I bring in to my house and the effect that it has on my enbironment, my health, my pets, my friends and family and the world around me. Everything that we purchase and bring in to our homes has an effect. It is up to us to decide whether it has a good or bad effect.

Lately my focus has been on air quality in my home, specifically air fresheners. According to countless studies done by reputable groups (http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/apr/past/01-336_a.pdf) air fresheners are not only ineffective but they produce volatile organic compounds that are harmful to life. I considered researching every product that is available and determine what is not harmful and what I can make on my own to produce safe products (on a side note, a mixture of baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice and water can eliminate odors, even the odors from the litter box!!) But then I discovered that someone had done the research for me!! Makes my life a lot easier!

GoodGuide is an organization that has been researching products and items since 2007 and ranking. The research is based on life cycle assessment, environmental engineering, chemistry, nutrition and sociology and ranks products for health, environmental and societal effects. Seems pretty reliable and is a great resource for my purchasing needs!

Have fun researching and making informed decisions for a better world!!

http://www.goodguide.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment